More Than Sand and Beaches on Anna Maria Island
Think about Anna Maria Island, and white sand beaches, enticing blue waters and breathtaking sunsets come to mind. There are also lots of fine restaurants, shops and nightclubs to enjoy.
But did you know that the island is also home to several incredible art galleries? There are several talented artists living on the island, and their works are displayed and sold at the many art galleries and shops you’ll find in town.
Take home an original souvenir from Anna Maria Island! These galleries provide you with the opportunity to purchase truly original memorabilia from your visit to this island.
Find out where you can purchase wonderful works of art and support local Anna Maria Island artists below:
Bob Brown Art
Location: 507 Pine Avenue, Anna Maria, FL
You’ll find several of the island’s best art galleries in the Pine Avenue area. A leading gallery on this street is Bob Brown Art. Many of Brown’s contemporary artworks highlight island mainstays: birds, sailboats and water.
Others are abstract bursts of colors without a clear focal point or image. Brown’s art is renowned all over the world, and you can stop by his stunning gallery and purchase an original piece at a reasonable cost.
Emerson’s Studio Store
Location: 317 Pine Avenue, Anna Maria, FL
Nearby is Emerson’s Studio Store. Emerson Quillin, a local cartoonist and illustrator, sells portraits, posters, greeting cards and other original works of art in canvas paintings and signed prints. His cartoon images are sometimes humorous and always leave a smile on the viewer’s face. His unique images can be put on coffee mugs, t-shirts and more.
J. Lazzara Gallery
Location: 507 Pine Ave, Anna Maria, FL
Yet another Pine Avenue gallery is J. Lazzara Gallery, which offers a wide range of acrylics, oil paintings, sculptures, mosaics and more.
The local artist featured here, Joyce Lazzara, is recognized around the world. Her art has won multiple awards and competitions. Her works include stunningly realistic portrayals of island birds, flowers, beaches and other landscapes.
Island Gallery West
Location: 5368 Gulf Dr, Holmes Beach, FL
Island Gallery West, located in Holmes Beach, offers a wide variety of local art by over 30 different Anna Maria Island artists. You will find various styles from painters and photographers that capture the beauty and essence of this unique island, as well as abstract images and other themes.
Each month features the work of a different artist! In addition to canvas paintings, you’ll find ceramics, stained glass pieces, decorative tiles and notecards.
Other galleries/shops where you can buy original local artwork include:
- Anna Maria Island Art League in Holmes Beach: holds festivals selling art and other craft items created by local artists
- Artists Guild Gallery of Anna Maria: also located in Holmes Beach, this location features the prints and other crafts made by local artists
- Joan Voyles Gallery: a local artist since 1986, Voyles’s works capture the look and feel of “Old Florida.”
- Seaweed Gallery: offers a wide range of local artists’ work in every medium; you’ll find unique items such as painted benches and glass and ceramic items
- Artspace Anna Maria: watch local artists at work! Artspace also offers classes — usually at least four sessions so you can truly learn how to create your own works of art