5 Reasons to Visit Anna Maria Island in the Spring
Anna Maria Island is an absolutely wonderful place to vacation to in the Spring. We have so much to see and do on this world renowned 7 mile island. From outdoor activities, water sports, festivals, and cultural events. Anna Maria Island has something for everyone to enjoy. Take a look at some of the great reasons to visit below and make sure you stay with us on your next vacation to the island.
- Weather: While most places are still battling snowy driveways and frigid weather—Anna Maria Island is beach day ready. With bright blue sunny skies and most days averaging in the mid 80s to the high 70s, it is a great getaway spot for your Spring Break vacation. Say goodbye to the skis and pack your favorite bikini for an unforgettable getaway on our 7-mile long barrier reef Island.
- Fishing: The spring season is a great time for fishing on Anna Maria Island. With the waters warming up it is a fisherman’s dream—during this time frame you can catch Tripletail, Spotted Sea Trout, Spanish Mackerel, Red Grouper, Snook and Sheephead. So get your fishing gear ready or rent it from one of the rental companies on the Island such as Fun and More Rentals and plan your fishing trip today!
- Watersports: With lower humidity but warmer temperatures this is a great time of year to spend out on the water. Whether you are boating, kayaking or paddleboarding. Another great perk? You are more likely to run into marine wildlife, such as manatees or dolphins, on your kayaking or paddleboarding adventures. In need of some equipment? There are a lot of great rental companies to check out on the Island, such as: Fun and More Rentals, Beach Bums Island Attitude, AMI Paddleboard Adventures, Just4Fun and Surfer Bus.
- Festivals: The local area is buzzing with exciting festivals during this time of year! Head over to the Historic Fishing Village of Cortez just across the Cortez Bridge the weekend of February 14th-15th for the Cortez Commercial Fishing Festival. Another great event you won’t want to miss is the Florida Strawberry Festival held at Plant City—just a short 1 hour drive North from Anna Maria Island. This year you can enjoy performances by Hunter Hayes, Reba McEntire and John Legend. Eat strawberries to your heart’s content, enjoy rides, partake in games, dance to the live music and so much more.
- Spring Training: McKechnie Field located in downtown Bradenton, just a quick 20 minute drive from the Island—is home to the Pittsburg Pirates during their Spring training season. Spend the day working on your tan on the beach, then head over to catch a game at the newly renovated field! Just across the street you will find Florida’s largest brewing garden, Motorworks. Get a taste of the Bradenton night life after the game and enjoy a refreshing drink on the spacious deck built around a 150 year old oak tree, challenge your friends to a corn hole match or even enjoy some putting. Driving just an hour North brings you to Tampa, home of the New York Yankees during their Spring training. Watch them take on the Phillies, Red Sox, Mets or the Orioles during your stay. Visit their official website for more information and the 2015 schedule.